I hate doing things I can make my computer do for me. My adventures in customizing and automating computers. Primarily with AutoCAD and Microsoft Office.

Wednesday, October 16, 2024

How to do "OR" conditions in Outlook rules

I recently ran in to a situation where my email had been sold and picked up by phishers. I was not happy, but not willing to give up an email address I had been using for decades. 

 As the junk and phishing emails came it was easy enough to create a rule for each one based on the FROM email, but often there would be multiple FROM addresses using the same domain and I didn't want to clutter up my rules with a bunch of specific conditions. I thought if I could do OR conditions on the FROM address I could minimize the number of rules. So I searched the web for a way to do rules with multiple OR conditions, but wasn't able to find any help. Changing the rule condition from "FROM" to "KEYWORDS" and "SENDER ADDRESS INCLUDES":
helped but I was still limited to one condition without being able to use "or". I discovered that multiple options can be added to the one condition and they are each treated as "OR" conditions. I also started blocking the entire domain instead of just the single email address:
I have not found a limit to the number of conditions allowed.

I'm sure this could be simplified using code, but this is good enough for me at this point.

I hope someone else finds this useful.

No comments: